HS2 Area Engineer

Is an HS2 Area Engineer career right for me?

Do you want to be involved in a big project, helping to build structures and systems that can change the way we live our lives?

If the answer is yes, that’s a good start! But more than this, you need to be:

  • A strong communicator. Can you convey complex stuff in simple terms?
  • A technical guru. You’ll need to be able to make judgments about technical designs, and for that you’ll need a strong background and experience in engineering.
  • A great planner. Are you always the one organising people and thinking ahead? This sort of work might suit you.

Advantages and disadvantages of being a HS2 Area Engineer


  • A real sense of achievement in being involved in such a major transport project.
  • The opportunity to work with a variety of people – from people along the railway route to politicians in Westminster.


  • Working outside normal office hours.
  • Finding the right words to explain technical things clearly and simply.

Useful skills and entry qualifications

Useful skills and qualifications include:

  • An ability to solve problems
  • Great organisational skills
  • The ability to communicate with all sorts of people – from staff on-site to the general public
  • A love of science, maths and technology – and therefore good A-levels and GCSEs in these subjects
  • A driver’s licence would be very handy for getting to work on-site
  • Some work experience at a civil engineering company, whether that be just a day’s work shadowing or a week working alongside engineers.

What qualifications do you need to be an HS2 Area Engineer?

Useful academic qualifications include:

  • A bachelor of engineering (BEng) or a master of engineering (MEng) degree in civil or mechanical engineering. These will help you if you want to become part of a professional organisation for engineers later on. You could do other engineering-related courses, but it might take longer to fully qualify.
  • At least five GCSEs (A-C) and two or three A-levels, including Maths and a science – usually Physics.
  • Or if you don’t have the A-levels, an Access to Higher Education qualification or Level 3 Diploma in Engineering.
  • A Higher National Certificate/Higher National Diploma, or foundation degree, to lead into a civil engineering degree.

What is the workplace of an HS2 Area Engineer like?

An HS2 Area Engineer is involved in building a railway which spans the country, so they don’t always work in one office. They will often focus on a particular region. Much of the work involves planning, meeting colleagues and reviewing information, such as technical designs, which tends to take place in an office. However, there are often events and meetings that take place outside the office.

Back to top